I’m nearly done with editing Lovelorn and can see the light at the end of the tunnel! I’m on the fourth draft and all that is left to do is edit the new scenes I added in the last draft and tweak everything else.
I really wish I had documented more on here as I went through each draft as it would be really interesting to go back and look at, plus you might all be interested!
Hopefully I’ll be better at that with the next book I write! As editing has gone on I have been struggling with it more and more. The Gif below pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject.
Each draft has given Lovelorn more layers, developing characters and the plot so it is a completely necessary process. My first drafts are always very rough due to my dyslexia. I think when I’m done it will be the best book it can be and I’ll feel insanely proud and happy to force it out into the world. Getting there though has been like pulling teeth! It wasn’t bad when doing the second draft as there was a lot to change so it was still as fun and exciting as writing the first draft.
The last two drafts though? I’m basically reading it again and again, changing the odd word, rephrasing the odd sentence. Making sure all the twists add up and changing small details. It is so dull!
I’m about ready to throw it out the window so to speak! This last draft has been the worst.
But it’s nearly over and I can start sending it to agents and publishers in the hopes it will become a real book and not just a huge file on my laptop.
It also means I can start thinking on my next book! Immerse myself in the fun part of brain storming and gathering ideas together like a huge cauldron of story soup. I’m thinking through a few ideas at the moment, one of which is a sequel to Lovelorn.
More on that later though! For now I just have to get through these edits…